Avacado and mango - what a great combination in a salad! Ripe mangoes work best here.And my red onion was not that red today - onions can be skipped if you would rather not have that pungent smell on your tastebuds.
Ingredients (serves 2)
What follows is a recipe for an Easy Light Tomato Rice to be served with a heavier curry . I have made this Tomato Rice through the last 16 years and there has never been any leftovers so far :) I only use fresh fresh tomatoes instead of tomato paste or sauce. Onion seeds add a unique flavor and aroma to this very versatile rice dish.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
1) After 30 mins, drain the water from the Basmati Rice and keep aside.
2) Heat the oil in a big deep pot and fry the onion seeds followed by the chopped onion.
3) Once sufficiently fried, add in the ginger and garlic paste. Let the aroma waft in your kitchen.
4) Reduce fire and then add the chilli powder and salt. Stir and fry for 2 mins.
5) Add in all the vegs, stir well and let it cook for 5 mins. You might need to add in a bit of water time to time so that the vegs don't stick to the pot and burn. By 5 mins, tomatoes would have turned mushy and the vegs would be half cooked.
6) Add in the drained Basmati rice and let the whole mix come together.
7) Add in 3 cups of water and check for seasoning. Add more salt if necessary.
8) Cover the pot, reduce heat to the most lowest and then let tomato rice cook undisturbed for 10 mins.
9) Uncover pot, add in the cilantro leaves and stir. Rice will be slightly wet. It's alright as the moisture will evaporate in a few mins.
10) Serve this easy and light tomato rice warm with any of your favourite curry and a dollop of low fat yoghurt.
This recipe is a combination of two different dishes - Grilled Tofus in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Feb 2015) and Curried French Beans with Potatoes (March 2016). It turned out quite well, especially with a light lentil curry.
Ingredients ( Serves 3 as a side)