Could anyone resist seasoned grilled eggplants with feta cheese?? Eggplants are one of my favorite vegetables and there is always one in my fridge. This versatile vegetable is easy to grill, bake, steam and sauté in many ways. The following recipe is adapted from The Asian Barbeque book and can be served as a main course for a vegetarian barbeque or as a great side dish or as a starter for almost any meal.
Ingredients ( Serves 2)
2 eggplants - cut lengthwise and the insides scooped and chopped roughly
Salt for sprinkling on eggplants
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, pounded
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 tomato diced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
I bunch of coriander leaves, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
Extra coriander leaves for garnishing
1) Preheat the oven to 200 deg C and oil a glass baking dish.
2) Scoop out the flesh of the eggplants, roughly chop and keep aside in salted water - to prevent discoloring. Rub the inside of the eggplant skins with salt and keep aside.
3) Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil and fry the onion and then the garlic. Once the onion and garlic are softened, add in the diced tomato, bell pepper and the roughly chopped egg plants and sauté for a further few minutes.
4) Once vegetables are cooked, transfer to a bowl and mix with feta cheese and chopped coriander leaves. Check for seasoning and set aside.
5) Rinse the egg plant skins and drain.
6) Fill in the eggplant boats with the stuffing and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins.
7) Serve hot, topped with more coriander leaves.