Cabbage Stir Fry with Lentils and Grated coconut or Cabbage Poriyal is a basic South Indian vegetable side dish very commonly made in many Indian households. The lentils add protein while the coconut is more for an added flavor. Cabbage can be substituted with many other vegetables like French or Long Beans, Carrots, Snake Gourds etc. Cabbage shreds are steam cooked which gives it a nice natural flavor.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
2 tbsp Moong Dhal
1 tbsp canola oil (or any other veg oil)
1/4 tsp mustad seeds
1/4 tsp urad dhal
1 dried chilli, cut into 4
1 medium onion, chopped
5-6 curry leaves
1/2 cup peas
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Salt per preference
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp grated coconut
1) Soak the moong dhal in water for 15 mins. Drain and keep aside.
2) Heat a pot and add 1 tbsp canola oil
3) Add the dry spices - mustard seeds, urad dhal and dried chilli.
4) Add the onion and curry leaves and fry further till onions turn translucent.
5) Add in the cabbage, green peas, moong dhal, turmeric powder and salt. Give it a stir. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and steam cook for 5-10 mins till vegetables are cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure vegetables don't stick to the pot and burn.
6) Lastly, add grated coconut, stir again and switch off your fire.
7) Enjoy with many of your curries as a side dish. Goes particularly well with Sambar (a South Indian Lentil Curry) or Rasam (a South Indian Tamarind Soup).
Hi guys! I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.