Urvashi was kind enough to share her recipes. I decided to post the recipe of the black eyed peas curry here because it was quite simple and so straightforward.
Ingredients (for 4)
1 cup of dried black eyed peas soaked overnight.
2 tbsp canola oil
for tempering the oil - 1 cinnamon stick, 2 cardamoms and 1 bay leaf
1 large onion, chopped small
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 green chilli, sliced
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp curry powder ( Everest or Kitchen King brand)
1/2 cup tomato paste
some coriander leaves, chopped
1) Wash and boil the black eyed peas with some salt for 5 minutes in pressure cooker. Otherwise, you can boil in a small pot but it might take longer. Drain and set aside.
2) Pour 2 tbsp canola oil in a medium saucepan, then temper the dry spices. Remove these spices and discard. Keep the oil.
3) In the same pot, fry the chopped onion, ginger garlic paste and sliced green chilli.
4) Upon turning translucent, not brown, add in the spice powders and fry till oil separates.
5) Then add the tomato paste and fry further. After 5 minutes , switch off the flame and then add a tbsp of this delicious curry paste into the cooked black eyed peas. Add some water and then check for salt.