One pot dishes are always welcome in any households. Anything that saves us time in the kitchen and lets us spend it with our precious ones or doing something more productive is very welcome indeed. I always cook a layered Briyani when I decided to come up with something simpler. This one pot briyani is very much like my Easy Light Tomato Rice which I have posted earlier.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
2 cups of Basmati Rice (soaked for 30 mins)
1 big onion, chopped finely
1 heaped tsp ginger garlic paste
2 tomatoes chopped medium sized
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp any Briyani Spice powder
Extra coriander leaves for garnish
1/2 cup of cauliflowers, cut into small florets
1/2 cup baby peas
1/2 cup long beans, cut into 1.5 inch pieces
1/2 cup carrots, cubed thin
1/2 cup potato cubes
1) Soak the Basmati rice for 30 mins and drain away the water.
2) Get all the ingredients ready. Microwave the vegetables in a bowl of salted water for 5 mins.
3) Heat a deep big pot and add 2 tbsps of canola oil. Saute the onions and ginger garlic paste till light brown.
4) Add in 2 tsps of briyani spice powder and mix well. Any brand will do and it is easily available in many indian grocery stores. I added 3 small green bird's eyes chillies at this point for added heat. But its totally up to you.
5) Add the chopped tomatoes and let the misture turn into a pulpy gravy. This would take around 3-5 mins on medium heat.
6) Blend this gravy to a smooth paste and pour it back into the pot. Add the boiled vegetables, salt, tomato paste and coriander leaves. Give it a good stir and let the vegetables absorb the gravy for 3-5 mins.
7) Add the drained basmati rice and pour in 4 cups of water. Stir and check for salt. Add more, if required.
8) Cover and cook on low heat for 10 mins. After 10 mins, open and stir gently. The rice grains will still be wet, let it evaporate over 5-10mins.
9) Garnish with more coriander leaves and serve with a light lentil curry and cucumber raita.