These are different from the regular white rice idlis. I added red rice to the regular idli recipe to see if they taste as good as the original ones. It turned out quite good. And of course, its healthier too!
Ingredients(12-14 rice cakes)
1/2 cup of idli ponni rice
1/2 cup of red rice
1/2 cup of split urad dal with skin
1/2 cup of rice flakes (poha)
1/2 tsp baking soda
Salt per preference
1) Put the 2 types of rice in a mixing bowl and the urad dal and rice flakes in another mixing bowl.
2) A close up of the ingredients.
3) Soak them in water (any amount as long as they are immersed totally in it) at around 10 am and leave them near a window for warmth. In the night at around 9pm, grind them separately and add in the baking soda. Mix all together.
4) Leave it overnight to ferment in a covered metal container immersed in another container of hot water, plastic preferably. So that the heat from the water conducts and stays with the metal container and it doesn't transfer to the metal container it is soaking in.
5) In the morning, your batter would have fermented and risen. Then, add salt and steam your idlis in your idli steamer per your usual way.
6) Enjoy delicious healthy red rice idlis!