Brownies are on everybody's list of favourite snacks, favourite desserts etc. I have a family recipe which I have been using for years involving a whole load of butter and eggs, which I am not too fond of. I remembered Michelle Obama advocating applesauce instead of butter in her bid to reduce obesity in America. Surfing through the internet for a healthier brownie recipe but which doesn't alter its taste too much, I came across a few using applesauce and even sour cream (instead of butter)!... interest piqued, I tried them out but wasn't too happy with some of the ingredients. What follows is a modified combined version of a few recipes :
Ingredients (yields 16 -20 squares)
2. Get all the ingredients ready.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and set aside.
4. In another mixing bowl, whisk together apple sauce, brown sugar, sour cream, melted chocolate, eggs and oil until well combined.
5. Add the flour mixture and stir until just lightly mixed.
6. Spread batter into the pan and sprinkle the chopped almonds and chocolate chunks. Bake until a wooden skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs - around 30-35 minutes. Its your call here, use your own judgement.
7. Let the brownie cool completely in the pan, Lift brownie using the paper overhang. Discard the paper and cut into squares. Enjoy guilt-free brownie squares on their own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Hi guys! I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.