We all enjoy sweet potatoes. But did you know that the leaves of these sweet tubers are power packed with important vitamins and minerals?
Sweet Potato leaves are an excellent source of potent antioxidants called polyphenols and they are one of the most alkalizing vegetables out there. It makes me wonder if Sweet Potato leaves are the next Superfood?
I was introduced to all these nutrient info by a Cooking Frenz member -Ms Shirley Lee. She gave me valuable tips on how to prepare these leaves. I came up with some additional ingredients to power up the dish even more. It is especially good for all the men in our household. It didn't take long for my husband Anand to gobble this up when I told him how good these sweet potato leaves are for his prostrate!
Ingredients (Serves 3 as a side dish)
500 gm of sweet potato leaves
1/2 a block of firm tofu
3 garlic cloves, sliced long
1 bird's eye chilli, sliced
Light soy sauce - 1 to 2 tbsp
1) Prepare the tofu, garlic and chilli.
2) Wash and cut the stems of the leaves into 1 inch pieces.
3) Discard any old leaves and rinse well. Drain.
4) Get a big wok and pour 1 tbsp of canola oil. Fry the garlic and bird's eye chilli slices.
5) Add the light soy sauce and tofu and let them brown a little on medium heat.
6) Add the stems and cook for 5 mins covered till tender.
7) Then add in the leaves and again cook covered for a further 5 mins.
8) It will look like this after 5 mins. Serve piping hot with any other Chinese themed dishes. Enjoy!