Deliciously quick & easy vegetarian/
Vegan Potato Omelette
I found this recipe below for Vegan Potato Omelette online and I tweaked it to add yellow onion and baby spinach to add flavor and nutrition. Its a very versatile dish and you can add sliced olives, capsicum or or even boiled kidney beans for added protein. And its gluten free too since we are using chickpea flour.
Ingredients (To serve 6-8 wedges)
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
2 cups baby spinach
2 tsps garlic herb salt
1 tsp chilli flakes
2-3 large potatoes, steamed, skin removed and cut into small cubes
2 cups chickpea flour
1 cup (+/-) water
1) First mix the chickpea flour, salt and water to form a thick batter. Pour this over the steamed cubed potatoes and mix well.
2) Next take a saucepan or a skillet and melt the vegan butter with the olive oil. Then add in the yellow onion and fry on medium heat.
3) Next, add in the washed baby spinach.
4) This will be followed by the garlic herb salt and chilli flakes. Check for salt. Then add in the chickpea potato mix. Press it down flat with a metal spoon. Add some vegan butter on the sides and on top so that it will cook golden brown when we flip it over.
5) Loosen the sides with a spatula or a flipper. Put a flat large plate over the pan and do a quick turn. Slide the omelette back into the pan and cook the other side.
6) Enjoy this delicious omelette with baked beans and a cup of hot steaming tea.
Chickpea Fesenjan is an Iranian stew from Gilan province, Iran. It is part of the of the dinner table on Shaba Yalda when families get together to celebrate the longest night of the year and the beginning of winter. It has a distinctive grainy sour taste as it is flavoured with ground walnuts and pomegranate paste. It is traditionally made with poultry ie either duck or chicken. Here I have made a vegan version using chickpeas to replace the meat. I couldn't find pomegranate paste so I had to settle for pomegranate juice instead.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1) First process the baked/roasted walnuts to a fine meal. Set aside.
2) Take a medium sized pot and heat the olive oil. Fry the yellow onion. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for around 5 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
3) Now add the chickpeas, veg broth, walnut meal, pomegranate juice, brown sugar, turmeric powder and cinnamon powder. Stir to combine and bring to a boil,
4) Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick and stew like.
5) Serve over a bed of Basmati Rice/Jasmine Rice and garnished with pomegranate arils and pasrsley leaves.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.