Deliciously quick & easy vegetarian/
Chervil is a delicate herb related to parsley. Sometimes called French parsley or garden chevril, it is commonly used to season mild flavoured dishes and is one of the essential ingredients in the French cuisine along with other herbs like chives, parsley and terragon. This easy warm potato salad is light and tastes different from our usual mayonnaise potato salads we are used to.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side)
10 small new potatoes
3 tbsps olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
Salt & Pepper
2 tbps chopped chervil leaves
1 tbsps chives, chopped
1 tbsps terragon, chopped
Make sure you get the potatoes with very thin skin so you don't have to peel them. Wash and boil the potatoes in salt for 10-15 mins till they are just cooked. Not overcooked. We aren't making mashed potatoes.
2) Meanwhile, make the vinegrette by first whisking the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper till they are well emulsified. Then, add in the chopped herbs.
3) Drain the potatoes when they are cooked. Mix the vinegrette with boiled potatoes, check for seasonings and serve immediately.
Jambalaya is a Louisiana origin dish of Spanish and French influence consisting mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with the rice. I decided to make a vegetarian version of this dish using whatever vegsetables I had on hand and kidney beans as a protein substitute for the meat.
This is a highly recommended dish to anyone who has only 30-45 mins to cook and is looking for a hearty meal to feed the family. And a big plus ? it requires only 1 pot!
Vegetarian Jambalaya (Serves 4)
3 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or pounded
2 celery sticks, sliced thin
1/2 a large bell pepper, cut into big pieces
1 litre veg stock
1 can of tinned tomatoes
6-8 baby okras
6-8 baby corns
1 cup of Arboria rice
1 can of kidney beans
Salt & Pepper
Chilli Flakes or Paprika
1) First, take a large heavy pot and fry the onion, garlic, celery and bell peper for 8-10 mins till cooked.
2) Pour in the veg stock.
3) Add in the diced canned tomatoes. If you don't have any canned tomatoes, just chop up two medium sized tomatoes and add them to the pot. At this point, add salt, pepper and some chilli flakes for heat.
4) Next, add in the washed Arborio rice. Arboria rice is recommended when your dish requires a creamy texture. If you don't have this specific rice, any shortgrained white or brown rice will do. Keep stirring regularly to avoid the rice sticking to the base of the pot.
6) When the stock has reduced in quantity, add the okra pods and the baby corns. I don't add this too early as then the okra will overcook and turn mushy.
7) Next add in the kidney beans.
8) When the stock has been totally absorbed by the rice and vegetables, turn off the fire and let it cool slightly before serving warm, garnished with parsley leaves.
9) Enjoy this wholesome guilt-free, gluten-free vegan Hearty Vegetarian Jambalaya.
An easy french toast recipe that allows you to whip up these sweet delicious protein rich bread triangles in minutes!
Ingredients (3 servings)
3 slices of bread, cut into triangles
1/2 cup fresh milk
2 tbsps caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1)Mix all the ingredients and whisk them till well combined.
2) Dip each triangle into the egg batter and let it soak for a few minutes.
3) Heat a skillet and swig a little canola oil.
4) Fry the dipped bread triangles in batches.
5) You can have them on their own or serve with honey and whipped cream too!
There are tons of pancake recipes out there. Why is this recipe so special? Well, this recipe is from my sister June who passed it to me years ago. It has been very well received for years in my family and friends. It’s a simple basic recipe for fluffy soft melt in your mouth pancakes and so many other variations can be made out of this one basic recipe. Like you could add mashed bananas, blueberries or raspberries or choc chips etc. I added chop chips this time round at the request of my younger Daughter Riya.
Ingredients ( for 6 pancakes)
1 cup self raising flour
2 tbsps caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup fresh milk
2tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Other additions ( Optional)
1) Mix all the dry ingredient first and then add all the wet ingredients.
Get a pancake pan ready and when hot, grease it with a mix of butter and canola oil. Pour the batter in and add the chop chips on TOP. Drizzle a few drops of butter and canola oil mix.
2) When the bottom looks light brown, flip over and let it brown on the other side.
Enjoy with a drizzle of maple syrup on top and butter on the side.
Quiches are savory pies made with a short crust pastry. It can be rather time consuming making the pastry, blind baking them and then adding in the filling and then baking them again. A crustless version is easier and even though we may miss the yummy buttery crust, having no crust helps us to dig into the filling direct. Agree? :)
I have used the most basic of vegetarian filling - spinach and mushrooms, with skim milk and Parmesan and Mozarella cheese. It is so easy that the prepartion takes barely 30mins and another hour for cooking and baking. Spinach and Mushroom Pie will make a great party dish and will be an awesome breakfast surprise for your weekend family time too!
Ingredients (for 6 slices)
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
200gm button mushrooms, washed and sliced thinly
125 gm fresh baby spinach, washed
4 large eggs (reduce to 3 if you are watching your cholesterol)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup grated Mozarella Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C or 350 deg F. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with olive oil spray and leave it aside.
2) Gather all the ingrdients. TOP Picture - Sliced mushrooms, washed baby spinach, canola oil and minced garlic. BOTTOM Picture - salt, pepper, skim milk, Parmesan Cheese, Mozarella cheese and eggs.
3) Heat the canola oil in a pan and fry the minced garlic for 2 mins. Then add in the sliced mushrooms with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4) Once the mushrooms have cooked , add in the spinach and let it wilt.
5) After 3-5 mins, it will look like this. There will be a lot of water from the mushroom and spinach. If you cant wait for all this moisture to evaporate, just pour away the water like I did. Keep aside.
6) Get a mixing bowl and whisk the eggs, skim milk and Parmesan cheese together. Season with salt and pepper.
7) Pour the sauted spinach and mushroom into the oiled pie dish and spread it out evenly.
8) Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan.
9) Spread the mozarella cheese all over.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 40 45 mins or till the crust is golden brown.
11) Enjoy your crustless Spinach and Mushroom Pie !
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.