Deliciously quick & easy vegetarian/
We had our last book club meeting for 2017 today. Being the start of the school holidays in Singapore, kids of our book club members were invited as well. Which kid (or adults too for the matter) isn't fond of potatoes? Its a sure winner in any party or any gathering and in any form - shoestrings, hashbrowns, tater tots or curly fries. Fried, mashed, in a salad or in a casserole like what I made today.
This dish Hashbrown Casserole is also called Texas potatoes. I'm not too sure of its origin but if its called Cheesy Potatoes or Texas Potatoes, it still tastes divine and sinfully rich!
Ingredients (for 10 by 8 inch casserole - serves 6-8)
1 kg (2 pounds) frozen hashbrowns, thawed at room temperature (Farmland)
400ml (1pint) sour cream
1 can of cream of mushroom soup (Campbell)
2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
1 medium yellow, finely chopped
1/2 cup melted butter (or if you prefer something less sinful use canola oil)
4 cups of crushed cornflakes
Salt & Pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C 0r 350 deg F. Break up the thawed hashbrowns into small pieces in a large mixing bowl. Add in the cheddar cheese, mushroom soup, sour cream and onion. I lightly fried my onion to give it more flavor. But you can do it without.
2) Mix them up till well incorporated. Tip it over into the casserole.
3) Heat a small pot and melt the butter. Then add in the crushed cornflakes. Mix well on low heat for 3-5 mins.
4) Evenly spread this crunchy cornflake topping on the prepared hashbrown mix in the casserole.
5) Bake for 40 mins till you see it all golden brown and sizzling on the sides. Enjoy with a simple garden salad and Tomato Herb Pasta perhaps?
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.