I love mushrooms - something about how it tastes earthy and so flavorful. Mushrooms impart a savory fifth sense called umami to your palate. Hearty mushrooms are a great way to enhance your meal and for vegetarians like me they are a great alternative to meat, not protein wise but taste wise.
Mushrooms don't need a lot of seasonings to enhance its flavor. A simple mix of soysauce and garlic will suffice. Try to make this simple oriental salad of marinated tofus stir fried in a medley of button, shitake and Japanese white Bunashimeji mushrooms.
Ingredients for Tofu Marinade
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 firm tofu block (200gm)
Ingredients for Mushroom Stir-Fry
2tbsp canola oil
200gm Shitake Mushrooms, washed and sliced
200gm Japanes white Bunashimeji mushrooms, washed
100gm button mushrooms (either brown or white), washed and sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cm ginger, sliced into matchsticks
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 scallions, sliced into thin strips
1 red bird's eye chilli, sliced
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1) First cut the tofu block into 9 cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients separately in a small bowl and pour over the cubes. Leave it to marinate for at least 2 hours or longer.
2) Next, heat the canola oil in a saucepan and fry the minced garlic and sliced ginger.
3) When they are cooked for a few minutes, put all the mushrooms in and add 2 tbsps of soysauce. Let them cook, sweat and release all their water roughly for 5 mins. Don't discard the water.
4) Put the marinated tofus in and stir fry on high heat for 5-10 mins. Stir regularly to ensure the ingredients don't stick to the pan and burn.
5) Garnish with scallion strips, red bird's eye chilli and roasted sesame seeds.
Serve with a simple sesame rice for a wholesome satisfying meal.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.