Deliciously quick & easy vegetarian/
The inspiration for this recipe came from the many recipes for bars and squares that i recently chanced upon. My sister makes a great granola bar. I will post the recipe soon for that. I used prunes, chopped into bits, instead of the dates which are used in many versions. The squares tasted a little bland because they are really super skinny - no eggs, no butter and no oil whatsoever. And there is no added sugar too. Only the sugars from the banana and the prunes. Hence, if you prefer, add 1/2 cup of brown sugar when mixing.
I just bought a bunch of these lovely dotted purple orchids and I simply had to show them off in my photos!! Aren't they captivating? :)
Ingredients (for 16 squares)
2 large very ripe bananas, mashed to liquid form with no lumps
2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped prunes
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt to balance the flavor (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1) Preheat the oven to 180 deg C or 350 F. Gather all the ingredients. From left, chopped walnuts, ground cinnamon, salt, oats, vanilla essence, mashed bananas and lastly chopped prunes. As you can see, I have used instant oats (I only had those at home) but rolled oats will give a crunchier bitier squares. Do add 1/2 cup brown sugar if you prefer sweeter squares.
2) Oil a square baking dish wth olive oil. Then get a mixing bowl and mix the bananas and vanilla essence first.
3) Then add in the oats. Mix well and then add in the other ingredients.
4) It would form a big lump by now. Flatten this lump into the oiled square baking dish. Use your hands if necessary. Flattening like this is important so that we can cut into neat squares after baking.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 mins till the edges are brown and crisp. Cut them into squares while still warm.
6) Enjoy these Skinny Banana Oat Prune Squares without any guilt. Have it as a snack or with your coffee or tea.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.