Deliciously quick & easy vegetarian/
I did a cook book review recently titled Silk Road Vegetarian and this recipe is adapted from that book. It was a nice change from the usual plain red lentil curry I make for my family often. Adding vegetables to the red lentils and then mixing in a tempered tomato gravy gave a delicious twist. And it was the first time I have used zucchini in an Indian curry. My family loved it and it goes particularly well with an Indian rice dish called Kitcheri www.americanmoments.net/quick--easy-vegetarian-recipes/healthy-kitcheri(See pictures).
The original recipe didn't call for certain spices but I added them anyway - cumin, chilli and turmeric. And I have adjusted the recipe accordingly for a family of 4.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1/2 cup red lentils (Masoor dal)
3 cups water (600ml)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 small carrot, sliced into thin quarters
1/3 big zucchini, sliced into thin quarters
1/2 cup peas
1 cup cauliflower florets, cut small
2 tbsps Canola Oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp mix of ginger and garlic
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1 and 1/2 medium tomatoes, cubed small
Coriander Leaves for garnish
1) Wash and boil the red lentils in 3 cups of water. Add the turmeric powder and salt and simmer on low heat for 15 mins.
2) After 15 minutes, add in the vegetables, stir and cook covered for another 15 mins on low heat. I didn't have cauliflower florets at that point. That's why it is missing!
3) While the vegetables and the lentils are cooking, get another small pot and heat the canola oil. Fry the cumin seeds.
4) Then, add in the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
5) Add in the spices and salt and fry for a few minutes.
6) This will be followed by the chopped tomatoes. Let it cook till it becomes pulpy and then mash it a little.
7) After the 15 minutes, the cooked vegetables and lentils will look like this. Pour in the tempered tomato mix into the cooked vegs and lentils.
8) Mix well.
9) Garnish with extra red chilli flakes and coriander leaves. Serve hot with your favorite rice dish.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.