The original recipe featured in Women's Weekly was made with minced turkey, instead of the usual minced beef used in taco filling. As usual, I like to make vegetarian versions of interesting recipes which I find challenges my culinary skills. The recipe called for turkey meat to replace the artery clogging beef but I made it even more healthier by using mashed firm tofu instead. And to equalise or increase the protein content, I added kidney beans. I apologise if I seem to be blowing my own horn here, but mashed tofu is an excellent substitute for minced meat of any kind. And I was kicking myself for not using this idea earlier!
And Quinoa replaces the carb loaded burritos to make this a fiber-rich low-fat protein-packed taco bowl!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water (can use vegetable broth for increase flavor)
Salt & Pepper
1 tbsp EVOO
1) Boil the uncooked quinoa in a small pot with either the water or the vegetable broth.
2) After around 10-15 mins, it will have absorbed all the liquid and be grainy but soft. Add salt, pepper and EVOO and fluff it up with a fork. Leave it aside.
Ingredients for Taco
2 tbsps EVOO
2 large scallions, cut into small pieces
1/3 yellow capsicum, sliced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large square firm tofu, mashed
1 cup kidney beans
For the topping
2 tbsps pumpkin seeds
A stalk of coriander leaf, cut big
2 tbsps greek yogurt
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
5-6 pickled jalapeno slices
1) Get all the ingredients ready.
2) Heat a pot and add the EVOO. Fry the scallions, garlic and capsicum slices.
3) Then add in the seasonings - chilli powder, cumin powder, pepper and salt. Fry further for 2 mins.
4) Then, add in the mashed tofu and fry till moisture evaporates. You may have to add another tbsp of EVOO if it gets too dry.
5) Add in the kidney beans.
6) Stir and your vegetarian taco is ready!
7) Now, assemble the quinoa and taco into two bowls. Top it off with pumpkin seeds, coriander leaves, sliced pickled jalapeno, greek yogurt and halved cherry tomatoes.
8) It was a big hit at home especially with my older girl Ranya and my husband. Ranya is slowly following her father's footsteps in opting always for healthier meals.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.