Watercress plants are an aquatic perennial herb found in abundance alongside slow running waterways and near natural springs. Watercress leaves and stems are both edible and are rich in many Vitamins - Vitamin A, C, E and K and other essential minerals. Obviously very low in fat and cholestrol and a good source of protein, folate, magnesium, potassium (I could go on and on here). But the best thing is it makes a great soup - both in western version nd the chinese version. I have posted the western version here wih home made croutons. Makes a great winter warming soup. The recipe is skinny too - only skim milk and olive oil has been used. You can substitute with butter and cream for added richness.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1) Cube the potato and chop the onion finely.
2) Clean and wash the watercress leaves and stems.
3) Heat a deep soup pot and pour 2 tbsp EVOO. Fry the chopped onion, minced garlic and potato cubes for 3-5 mins.
4) Add in the vegetable stock and skim milk and cover. Cook for 5 mins till the potato cubes are done.
5) Add the watercress leaves and stems and cook for another 3-5 mins.
6) This is how it would look at the end of the cooking time.
7) Process this in a blender and return it back to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
8) To make your own croutons, cut bread into cubes and fry them in a pan with EVOO till they turn light brown on all sides. I used foccacia bread for that earthy meditaranean taste.
9) Serve with homemade croutons and a swirl of EVOO. Top it off with a few low fat Feta Cheese crumbles for that extra flavor.
Hi guys! I'm Nilofar Iyer and I have shared my dishes here for you to cook for your own family and friends with love and most importantly with their long term good health in mind.