Are you aware there are certain areas on earth where people live longer and in better shape than the others? For those who aren't, these areas are called Blue Zones and they are the Islands of Okinawa (Japan), interior of Sardinia ( Italy), Nicoya ( Costa Rica), Icaria ( Greece) and Loma Linda ( California).
People living in these zones regularly live to see their 100th birthday and have reduced risk of heart disease and cancer.
They all shared similar traits which are called the Power 9 Principles
1) Putting family ahead of other concerns.
2) Eating a largely plant based diet including a lot of legumes eg fava beans, soy beans. Meat is eaten only 5 times a month! (I told you Vegetarianism Rocks!)
3) Belonging to a faith based community which encourages attending faith based services at least 4 times a month.
4) Belonging to a social circle that encourages healthy lifestyle.
5) Being constantly active naturally - this doesn't involve pumping iron in the gym. Just being more mobile eg instead of using an automated whisker, give your hands a workout by whisking the sugar and eggs on your own.
6) Eating up to only 80% full - the Okinawan say 'Hara Hachi Bu' before their meals to remind themselves to eat only up to 80% full. Apparently, the 20% makes a difference between gaining weight or losing it.
7) Having routines to shed stress eg exercise, listening to music or talking to loved ones or close friends
8)Having a purpose to wake up in the mornings.
9) Drinking wine moderately ie 1-2 glasses a day.
To find out more read the book by Dan Buettner or visit their website www.bluezones.com where there is a wealth of information about the revered Blue Zones. Try out their mouth watering recipes as well! Personally, I wouldn't want to live to a 100 but I would like to live a healthier life in my twilight years. I believe a lot of us share my sentiments.